The SAM Recreational league seeks to promote the values of sportsmanship and teamwork through the beautiful game of soccer. All games are played at the award-winning Maryland SoccerPlex in Germantown. The SAM Recreational League provides a positive environment for children to learn and develop while having fun with friends and teammates. Players ages 6-18 and all experience levels are welcome.
- We offer two seasons of play – one in the fall and one in the spring. Each season is 8 weeks long and each player will have a total of 8 games.
- You can register your child as an individual and we will place your child with a team or if you have a team you would like to join you may request that during your registration.
- We do our best to form teams geographically so that players are playing with kids they go to school with.
- All games are played at the Maryland SoccerPlex on Saturdays or Sunday’s and practices will be held throughout the week at local fields based on the coaches’ preference and field availability.
- All players are guaranteed a minimum of 50% playing time.
- Included in your registration is a full uniform which includes a jersey, shorts, and socks.
- Interested in coaching your child? Parents are encouraged to register as volunteer coaches and managers. They must first pass a background check and take a brief online concussion safety course. No experience is necessary and comprehensive support and education is provided by the league for those who seek guidance.
Click Here for the 2021-2022 age group chart.
Click Here to register for our Fall 2021 Season!
We offer full and partial grants to those who are in need of assistance. To learn more about how to apply, visit our financial aid page.
July 5- Early bird discount deadline
August 12th – Coaches practice and game request deadline/ Scholarship Deadline/Late Fee Begins
August 17th – Practice schedule released.
August 27th – Game Schedule released.
August 30th- Coach/Referee meeting.
September 10-12 – Opening weekend
September 24-26 – Quiet weekend (see below for details)
October 9-11 – No games
November 5-7 – Final weekend of games
Fair Play Please!
At SAM Soccer, we strongly believe in fair play and its importance within our programs. SAM Soccer’s Fair Play Please sportsmanship program is our way of recognizing and promoting that fair play. In recognition of the program SAM Soccer was recently nationally recognized by the Soccer Parenting Association as a “club of winning culture”. The Fair Play Please sportsmanship program seeks to promote the values of sportsmanship, teamwork, and the good of the game. The goal of Fair Play Please is to recognize those teams (coaches, players and spectators) that demonstrate a high level of positive play and respect for others. We ask that all our SAM families do their share to make sportsmanship their highest priority.
Seasonal Sportsmanship Awards
At the conclusion of the season, coaches are asked to vote for the team that best exemplifies the values that the Fair Play Please program seeks to promote sportsmanship, teamwork, and positivity.
What Award Winners Will Get:
- Every player on the winning team receives a SAM “Fair Play Please” t-shirt
- The winning team’s coach will receive a recognition plaque.
- Winning teams will be featured on our website and social media channels!
SAM Quiet Weekend
One weekend every season is set aside as the SAM Quiet Weekend. At games played on this weekend, all adults (coaches, parents, spectators) are asked to refrain from directing verbal communication to the players or the referee on the field. We have found that player to player communication happens more often and is more effective when players are left to their own devices and creativity. Because there are not multiple voices and instructions being directed at them, the players “figure out” the answer themselves, learning that tends to resonate more fully and be more deeply engrained in their memory. And, yes, Quiet Games tend to not have contentiousness between adults and referee, between the adults on each team, etc.
How Coaches and Parents Can Support the Fair Play Please Program
- Encourage all members of your team’s families to support sportsmanship, fair play, and positivity at all games and practices.
- Make some notes about your opponent at each of your games to help you make your nominations toward the end of the season.
- Consider strategizing with the opposing coach at the beginning of each game about ways in which you can collaborate during the game to ensure that every player has success and finishes the match feeling good about their game experience that day.
We thank all the SAM families for helping to make our league the standard for great competition, AND great sportsmanship.
At SAM Soccer, we want to provide a fantastic experience for all players. We have specific rules and a code of conduct we ask all players, coaches, and spectators to abide by. See both below:
COVID 19 Safety
SAM Soccer and the Maryland SoccerPlex will comply with all federal, state and county safety protocols that are in place at the time our season starts. As the pandemic itself and related government and medical protocols are fluid from week to week, it will be impossible to predict what will be mandated at any given point in time in the future. We will keep our website and social media outlets updated with the most recent information as it becomes available. The safety of our athletes, coaches, referees, and staff are our number one priority and SAM Soccer and the Maryland SoccerPlex may implement additional safety protocols that may exceed federal, state, and county guidelines should we feel that is necessary.